1. Safety – Safe flying and how to react during emergency situations
2. Solution – Understanding DJI commercial UAS solutions and the latest UAS technology
3. Operation – Learning about the DJI Pilot app and how to operate DJI’s latest commercial drone platform
4. Mission – Utilizing UAS to capture mission data
5. Maintenance – Standard equipment maintenance operations
The UTC (Unmanned Aerial System Training Center) is a professional UAS application training program provided by DJI (promoted as DJI’s official training program). After several years of requests from major corporations, public safety agencies and government organizations for "manufacturer certified training from DJI", RMUS and DJI have worked intensely with the UTC to bring this course into fruition.
The course is separated into two sections, online and onsite. The online section was created to ensure the students enter the class with a basic understanding and proficiency of UAS flight and theory. All of the online sections must be fully completed prior to attending the onsite portion of the training class. This requirement is mandated by DJI and is non-negotiable. The online sections will take approximately three (3) to five (5) hours to complete. The cost of the UTC Commercial UAS Training Level 1 course includes a DJI Ryze Tello Drone/remote control package which will be sent to the student upon receipt of payment for the course. The Tello drone will be used by the student to develop basic piloting skills prior to the onsite training. The onsite training is three (3) days of hands-on professional instruction administered by seasoned UAV pilot instructors. Please review the UTC Commercial UAS Training Level 1 course syllabus in the link below for further details.
Upon successful completion of the course the student is issued an official manufacturer-certified license provided by UTC, DJI and RMUS. Therefore a government-issued photo ID must be presented at the beginning of the onsite class in order to attend. This requirement is mandated by DJI and is non-negotiable. There is also an in-person written examination and a practical flight examination at the conclusion of the training course. Upon successful completion of the written and practical examinations a certificate will be issued to the individual UAS pilot.
More UTC Commercial UAS Training Level 1 Details on UTC Website
You must complete the online training course prior to attending class. Online course work takes place on the UTC website (uastc.com/us). You will need to register on the site in order to view the courses.
- As part of the online course, you will receive a trainer drone. This will be shipped to the address you submitted to RMUS to register for the course. After receiving the training drone, please complete the online flight training course. You may complete other online courses prior to receiving the trainer drone. This drone is yours to keep and practice with DO NOT bring it to class. Please print out the final online course exam results and bring those to class.
- About 10 to 14 days prior to the class, you will receive a welcome email from the local training facility. This email will provide any last minute travel planning details you may need. Also please let the training facility know if you need special assistance or have dietary restrictions.
- After successful completion of the course, the training facility will issue you a temporary certificate. You will be receiving an official certificate and card from UTC within 30 days after completing the course. This will be shipped to the address on file at RMUS, so please notify RMUS at firstname.lastname@example.org to update.
- If a student fails to pass the final exam, and wishes to continue pursuing certification, they will be required to reschedule and retake the class with a $750 retake fee.
Located at the base of the Wasatch Mountains and overlooking the Great Salt Lake, the RMUS Training Facility provides a picturesque setting for UAV education. Our two newly constructed classrooms provide students with a functional and comfortable environment to learn about UAV theory, software applications and hands-on equipment demonstration.
Our nearby 40 acre flight area is ideal for students to establish and improve their key piloting skills. The RMUS Training Facility also includes an indoor flight course for GPS denied flight, obstacle training and for flights during periods of inclement weather.
Located only 15 minutes from the Salt Lake City International airport, access to our facility is easy and there are numerous accommodations, restaurants and nightlife options nearby. We are also located within 40 minutes of nine major ski resorts that offer winter and summer activities.
Location & Contact Information
595 North 1250 West Suite 3
Centerville, UT 84014
Jon has be involved in developing UAV systems for 17 years. He has implemented dozens of UAV programs for municipality’s in the intermountain west. Jon has a large social media following for his vast knowledge of thermal UAV systems and pioneering work in creating UAV’s. Jon served ﬁve years in the U.S. marine corp., studying microelectronics. His hobbies include 30 years of building, ﬂying and creating aerial remote control vehicles. Jon is one of the RMUS founders. Jon is a level 1 thermographer.
Chad has been involved in the RC world for 22 years and UAV's for the last 7 years. He was a technical service rep on digital office equipment for 18 years, and was a trainer for new technicians. Chad currently teaches the RMUS part 107 prep courses. He enjoys building and ﬂying drones, ﬁlming aerial videos, camping and hiking outdoors. Chad is a part 107 remote UAS pilot and a level 1 thermographer.
Jake has been ﬂying RC aircraft for 11 years. He's an expert drone technician and has provided training for RMUS conﬁned space and photogrammetry systems. Jake enjoys ﬂying remote controlled 3D helicopters and building his own RC systems. Jake is a part 107 remote UAS Pilot and a level 1 thermographer.